SAFETY • DIGNITY • TRUST
Michigan Liberation is a statewide network of people and organizations organizing to end the criminalization of Black families and communities of color in Michigan. We envision a state without mass incarceration, mass policing, and punishment. We envision a state with the best public education in the nation, single-payer healthcare, and thriving Black and Brown communities.
Michigan Liberation is a statewide 501c4 dedicated to ending mass incarceration and transforming the criminal legal system by implementing effective campaigns and the leadership development of directly impacted people. Michigan Liberation was formed in 2018 and began its work by doing deep listening door-knocking in three counties to hear people's direct experiences with the criminal legal system. Since then, Michigan Liberation has been organizing and pushing its vision for a more liberated people and state.
Some of our achievements include:
- Formed and led a coalition to support Progressive candidates for the prosecutor seat in four counties, including wins in Macomb, Oakland and Washtenaw County
- Held the Black Mother's Day Bail Out in Michigan for the past four years, successfully raising grassroots dollars that have resulted in dozens of bailouts, interruptions of the money bail system, and reunited families
- Built protest infrastructure during the 2020 movement uprising that included rapid response bailout of protesters, know your rights training for protesters, and coordination with many other groups to make sure protesters could exercise their rights and fight against police brutality and anti-blackness
- Co-led campaigns to "Free Grace", seek justice for McKenzie Cochran and support lawsuits against county jail's response to Covid in their jails
- Community outreach through expungement fairs, brake light clinics, court watching, listening sessions, and other numerous events
Currently, Michigan Liberation has its sights set on passing statewide bail reform to end cash bail, reinstating good time in Michigan, and gaining policy wins to advance Care, Not Criminalization to end the criminalization of substance and mental health.
Follow us on social media!
© 2018-2024 Action for Liberation 501(c)(4)
PO Box 6919, Detroit, MI 48206